"The place where God calls you is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet." Frederick Buechner

Sunday, July 5, 2020

Crowd of Witnesses

"Therefore, since we also have such a large cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us lay aside every weight and the sin that so easily ensnares us. Let us run with endurance the race that lies before us, keeping our eyes on Jesus, the source and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that lay before Him endured a cross and despised the shame and has sat down at the right hand of God."                                (Hebrews 12:1-2)



I was considering this verse this morning and the implications of what it means to be surrounded by this crowd (I like crowd better than cloud) of witnesses. 12:1-2 comes right on heels of the "faith" chapter, where the Patriarchs of the faith are listed along with some of the highlights of their faith. 

It's a powerful image that is followed up by an instruction to finish out the race of our own faith, one that presents this idea that these men of faith will be there at the finish line of our race, encouraging us to cross the line well.

But it also brings a stark reminder for me that I do not come from a legacy of faith - and that I want to live with a purposefulness to make sure that my kids, grandkids and on down the line will see my face as they cross the finish line.

A dear mentor of mine, Pop, has set a legacy of faith and discipleship that now stretched some four generations and I can't see it stopping in the near future. And as excited as he gets about his crew now, I can just imagine him standing beside Jesus, Abraham and the Apostle Paul, beaming from ear to ear, when his descendants begin to finish their races. 

To be sure, my crowd of witnesses will be smaller than some. Aside from my mom, I'm not sure that any of my grandparents can be considered a witness of faith. I hope to see them there, but it is not something I can be sure of. 

It is a powerful reminder for me every day that what I do, how I parent, how I influence the world around me, will be a determining factor in whose finish lines I will get to be a part of the crowd at.

Is that something you've considered? It's another reminder to be purposeful in how you spend each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment