"The place where God calls you is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet." Frederick Buechner

Tuesday, July 28, 2020

In Response to God's Calling

God always prepares us for whatever He is about to call us to do. On top of that, Scripture is full of our Christian forefathers giving us divinely-inspired direction for what it looks like to observe and understand, prepare for and respond to God's calling. 

Our responsibility lies in what we do with God's call when we receive it. It doesn't necessarily have to be a huge decision or undertaking; it could be as simple as deciding to make small decisions as a reflection of God's character and love rather than my own fleshly desires. 

Responding to God's call doesn't necessarily refer to making a positive, proactive decision, either. There will be times where God's call is contrary to what I hope He is going to direct me to do- responding to His call might mean staying put when I want to move on or to wait when I am ready to make a move. 

Will I be obedient to His call? In the end, God doesn't need me- He can accomplish whatever plan or design He has with anyone- but He allows me the opportunity to respond to His call and to be a tool in the work of His design, because He loves me and wants to make me feel useful.

In Ezekiel 36, God tells Ezekiel "I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you... I will put my spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my commands."

Those He calls, He prepares. He gives us direction for how to ready to respond to His call. From 1 Peter:
 -Prepare your mind for action; be clear-minded and self-controlled. 
-Set you hope fully on the grace to be given you in Jesus. 
-Love one another deeply.
-Do not conform to evil desires; rid yourself of malice, deceit, hypocrisy, envy and slander.
-Submit yourself to God's authority.
-Live as free men; Live as a servant of God; Live in harmony with one another.
-Love the brotherhood deeply; fear God; honor the King. 
-Use whatever gifts you've received to serve others and administer God's grace:
          -If you speak, speak as one speaking the very words of God; If you serve, do so with the strength God provides; If you suffer, rejoice that you suffer as a follower of Jesus.

-Be shepherds of God's flock that He puts under your care.


 If God is preparing you by teaching you these things or allowing you to learn them through your circumstances, be aware that He likely has a call of some kind waiting for you down the line.

Actionable questions for each of us each day:

Am I living in a way to be found worthy of God's calling for my life?  

Am I striving every day to use the gifts He's given me to fulfill His calling?

Am I ready to respond if God were to call me today? Would I go? Would I serve? Would I leave my comfort zone to pick up my cross and follow Him? 

Romans 11:29 "God's gift and His call are irrevocable."

(Note: you might refuse to listen or refuse to follow, but once God has called you, that call will never leave you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment